Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dear Mom of younger children...

  Dear Mom of younger children:

     I was sitting here the other day, thinking back to a time in my life (about 8/9 years ago) when I was much younger, and my kids were also, MUCH younger. You know, those ages when you have to do EVERYTHING for them, and you literally cant wait to take a shower, because it meant you MIGHT get 5 minutes alone and not attending to 3 little people's every. single.need. all.day.and.night.long...Wiping noses,wiping butts, making snacks and filling cups....Late night feedings, and early morning giggles, another cup of milk spilled, and spaghetti sauce dribbles...You go to bed exhausted and wake up even more exhausted...SOMEHOW, you manage to get the kids all dressed, fed, and out the door NOT crying simultaneously, and stroll into church once a week, where you muscle through the morning with babies who have missed a nap, and are in need of a feeding, and JUST as you are about to walk out that door, feeling as though you might have just ran a marathon, and praying that the kids are going to crash from the church cookie sugar rush, and nap, so maybe, just maybe you can get 15 minutes of shut eye...

And older woman steps in front of you, and grins as wide as can be while looking at your little ones who are clearly cookie covered and overstimulated, and she says to you... "Enjoy every moment of this...It goes by so fast!"...And just like that, she was gone, and all you can do is stand there, somewhat frustrated and frazzled at what just took place..."enjoy this"? Do you NOT see these dark circles under my eyes, and snot covered shirt?...And then, before you can finish your thought, you are beckoned by your minion, and head off to the car to listen to the wiggles for the bazzillionth time in a row...

That was ME 8 years ago...

Today...I am here to say..."Enjoy. Every. Single. Moment."

Seriously...Enjoy it!! I cannot believe how just a mere 8 years can go by, and it seem like almost an instant...

Suddenly...I am not "needed" as much anymore...All my kids are potty trained...No more sleepless nights...No more sippy cups and pacifiers...No more toddler tantrums (although I think teen tantrums are a bit worse, in comparison...) No more "kiss my Boo Boo and make it better" requests...No more nap time schedules, or cutting up every food into tiny bites...They are all in school now, and for the MOST part self sufficient...Of course we still have our struggles... They are just different now. The kids need a different kind of guidance and support...And that will change even more as they get older and grow into adults. But, as I sit here, pondering, I can't help but think of all the times I had people say to me "enjoy this time" or some variation of the saying, and how many times I discounted it, or even eye rolled at them a bit...

But now, I understand...Now, I am the one spouting of that stupid cliche' phrase at new mothers, and those with younger kiddos...Now I am the one who would give anything to go back to those quiet moments at night when you are nursing your newborn, and they hold your finger with their tiny hand, and look in your eyes...I would give anything to hit rewind now and again... I LOVE who my kids are becoming and who they are today...But those special times when they are little ones are so precious...You never really understand HOW precious until the moment has passed... Hindsight is always 20/20...isn't it?

So, Mom's of younger kids, remember, the chaos you know, also known as "life", wont always be THIS chaotic... Your kids wont always NEED you THIS much, and you wont always be this sleep deprived...One day, you too will wish you could hit the rewind button... So for now, humor us old ladies who are feeling baby fever, mmmkay?

Sincerely,

Mom of older kids

No comments:

Post a Comment