Sunday, February 2, 2014

Adventures in my crazzzzyyy life....

So, about a month ago, I met with a cardiologist and electrophysiologist, from Albany Medical center, about some episodes I have been having for a while now. Come to think of it, I have always had a variation of these kids if issues since I was a child, but was misdiagnosed for years and years. Anyway, The episodes are similar to fainting, but with some pre syncope issues, like flushing, cold sweats, cold extremities, nausea, headaches, dizziness, then eventually my heart rate goes funky and so does my blood pressure, and BAM, down I go...No real rhyme or reason to it, and nothing I can do to stop it...It is NOT from "getting up too fast", or anything of that sort. The plan was to see the cardio/EP doctor, and let him do some tests and make a determination about the causes and get an official diagnosis.

When I had my initial consult, he mentioned, based on my history and symptoms, that it seems as though there is a problem in my autonomic nervous system, which is causing the reflexes that control my heart rate and blood pressure to NOT work properly. WHY that is happening, and what the exact causes are,  are unknown right now, the tests he wanted to do would help us see a bit better. So I scheduled my tests a few weeks later, and last tuesday, I went in...

..It was rather eventful!

I will back up though, and start from the beginning...

I went back down to Albany, and checked in at my cardiologists office for the testing that needed to be done.  First test on the list, Echocardiogram.

















I went in, got on the LOVELY gown ( shown above)

Then , a wonderful tech came in and probed my chest for 25 minutes...No word back on those results yet...I will get that info in Feb 25th.

As soon as that was done, I got dressed, and waited for the Tilt table test ( aka- TTT)...

I was slightly nervous before, but nothing major. I had done a little reading, and even watched a few youtube vids from the mayo clinic on TTT's, so I was aware of what they were going to do, and knowing about it, helped to reduce any anxiety. They called me back, and had me take off most of my top wear, and put back on another gown, then waited, while they went over the test, risks, and what they were trying to find etc...It all seemed easy enough...

Then, they started to hook me up to all the machines...Holy crap, was it a LOT of wires!! They would not let me fiddle with my phone or take pics..Boo...lol...But in hindsight, I am glad...

So, the first part of the test, you start out laying flat. They get a baseline heart rate and blood pressure. Then they raise me,  to a mostly standing position, while strapped down to a table, also, while continuing to monitor. This goes on for 45 minutes. If I were to have passed out in the first 45 minutes, they would have stopped the test, and had the results needed. But, I stayed awake. Which is not uncommon. Many people dont pass out on the TTT.  I had many issues with fluctuations, but none severe enough to cause me to pass out in that first 45 mins.

After the 45 mins, they lay you back down, for about 5 minutes. They then preped an IV line to give fluids, and so that they could administer a medication called Isoproterenol intravenously. It acts as a artificial adrenaline, to speed up the heart rate. Then they stand you up again for 30 mins, unless you pass out before then....

Well...Things did not go as planned when they gave me the meds through the IV...I ended up having a bad reaction...Once they stood me back up, and started the meds, I was immediately unable to breathe, move, talk etc...It was as if I was being drowned!  My heart rate SHOT up, super fast, my muscles started shaking and I started to have hot flashes and cold sweats...The monitors started going off, they stopped the meds, and started me on oxygen ASAP, but nothing helped...THEY started kind of freaking out, which freaked ME out...Then They laid me flat, to try and stabilize my heart rate and blood pressure. I did not even get to complete the second half of the test. They were all freaked out by the event, and made the DR come in and see me before I could go home, because it was soooo crazy! None of them had ever seen anyone react to the meds that way before. I was slightly traumatized...It was a bit much for me...My body is still so tired, even now from it all, even almost a week later!

Anyway, I ended up, after all was said and done, with a 30 day event/loop monitor, that will continuously monitor my heart for any abnormalities over the course of the next 25- 30 days...Here is a peek at my new "best friend" for the next few weeks...


This little gadget will go with me EVERYWHERE, 24/7 except  in shower..Fun fun...

NOT!

This monitor is a pain in the BUTT...I am allergic to the sticky pads, and the wires irritate me...I will be sooooo glad when this is over, and we have some answers, hopefully!



No comments:

Post a Comment